permaculture - [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Carbon Credits for Compost?!]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@bellsouth.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] [Fwd: Re: [SANET-MG] Carbon Credits for Compost?!]
  • Date: Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:55:01 -0500

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [SANET-MG] Carbon Credits for Compost?!
Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 13:30:47 -0800
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@BYTESMITHS.COM>
To: SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU

Let's stop waiting for the government. Just do it!

Here on Salt Spring Island, a local, Permaculture-based sustainable
forester (Seven Ravens Farm), has printed his own carbon-offset
certificates, and one hangs proudly in the foyer of our local float-
plane airline, Salt Spring Air.

I don't know the details of the deal, but I have talked with Michael
Nicols, the sustainable forester, and he confirmed that this was a
private deal, not part of some "gubbamint" program.

This can happen in small communities that have a lot of trust. Michael
has an excellent reputation on our island of 9,500 people, and so does
Salt Spring Air. I can see that this won't work between MegaCorp and
some third-world peasant. But it is something small carbon sinks
should consider doing.

If the people lead, the government will follow.