permaculture - Re: [permaculture] introductions & permaculture website

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] introductions & permaculture website
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 13:19:35 -0700

There's another mailing list here on ibiblio.org, called pcdb. You can
search for it or sign up here:

A couple years ago a group of us were trying to hash out what a
permaculture database would look like -- what scope would it have? Could
we gather information about plants, or would animals and microscopic
critters be useful there too? How about tools and soil types? What about
regional information, with contributors being able to describe their
site, location, soil type, and keeping a log of their successes and
failures? Eventually we got all too full of scope and the list dried up
-- most of us probably wanted to be doing gardening instead :-) There
was one attempt to create a database using MediaWiki, and it was a good
idea, but I don't think there was enough collective momentum behind it.

Anyway, about a month ago there was a brief blip of activity, and it
demonstrated that there are a few of us who are still really interested
in creating a permaculture info database. You might want to read through
past mailing list archives and see the ideas that people came up with,
and see if you had some ideas that could inspire us all to start talking
again!

What is your area of expertise -- what languages do you know, do you
have any favourite development frameworks and libraries, and have you
had experience doing database design and normalisation?

Paul d'Aoust
Penticton, BC, Canada