permaculture - Re: [permaculture] introductions & permaculture website

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul d'Aoust <paul@heliosville.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] introductions & permaculture website
  • Date: Thu, 07 May 2009 23:46:34 -0700

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 17:16 -0400, Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:
> We originally created that list for serious contributors & developers only
> and left this (permaculture) list for general discussion about the
> project(s)
> and to stay current with progress and announcements.
> Maybe it would be best to keep it that way unless consensus sees it
> differently.

Nope, I think that's fine -- I didn't realise it was an approval-only
list, I guess because I signed up so long ago. I think archives should
definitely stay public, and I'd like to see it stay the way it is:
anyone can ask to join, but they have to send you an e-mail describing
what they can contribute. So open-ish, in other words :-)

> > There
> > was one attempt to create a database using MediaWiki, and it was a good
> > idea, but I don't think there was enough collective momentum behind it.
>
> That project is embodied is this website:
>
> Hosted by ibiblio (http://www.ibiblio.org)
> http://www.permaculture.info
> this uses MediaWiki

Yeah, that's the one. I just went there, and noticed it's all nice and
clean! Good job to whoever took the time to get rid of all the spam.

I keep thinking that, in order to have a critical momentum, a
permaculture database should start out seeded with a lot of information
-- you mentioned that the guy behind PFAF is involved in
permaculture.info? I think that, if the PFAF data could be imported into
the wiki somehow, this would create that critical mass.

(I'm more of the mind that we should have a custom-created database and
interface, like Paul C and Jedd have been talking about, but I'll leave
that for the pcdb list :-)

> I would like to see this move forward.

Same here, same here, and I'd love to be directly involved in it, right
now... but there are tomatoes to harden off, and a pond to plant, and a
cherry tree in desperate need of pruning, and then there's this dumb
'day job' thing that I have to figure something out with :-) I should
just quit my job, take on freelance, and help with PCDB in the mornings
or something!

Anyway, off to bed!
Paul d'Aoust