permaculture - [permaculture] Trends in America

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Read" <steveread@free.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Trends in America
  • Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2008 08:26:26 +0100

Hello, Toby Hemenway,

Interesting approach to extrapolte from one PDC and its mug praxis to
principles and strategies of land tenure; It reminds me too of the
platitudinous arguments that Thatcher & Co. put forward to justify selling
off the council owned housing, frankly I rarely saw a run down council house
except on estates that had been designanted as 'problem' estates by the local
council and were then therefore following some strange logic of their own
refilled with more 'problem' families. And then of course council blocks that
fell into disrepair and misuse becaus ethey were simply so badly designed.

Your argument also belies the fact that for prbably millenia humane societies
have enabled land tenure strategies that allowed sustainable, durable use of
commonly held assets. Th
e fatuous book 'Tragedy of the commons' has been massively instrumental in
creating a mythology around this subject. Your argument also imo seems to
betray a certian myopia, looking out the window do I see a world where
privately owned resources are not destructively exploited, a world where
privately property is tended and nurtured for subsequent generations? Or do I
see a world where the traditional class layers have gone to be replaced by
one big squandering propertied class in the rich countries and those that are
becoming fatter? For myself I only have to go to the municipal dump to see
where private property ends up, even when still in good condition.

I imagine that you personally however are tending well your private patch of
Earth, your private Eden.

And of course there's Renting property out, what a great way to increase my
income, living off the sweat and labour of others, keeping the world split
into have's and have nots and of course expecting the people who are renting
the property to look after it as if it were their own, well how is it they
can do that in rented accomodation and yet wouldn't be able to do it in
commonly held accomodation?

I would however agree with you Toby that there is some education to be done,
its not difficult, one simply transports the emotional content that one has
for 'mine' to 'ours'. I frankly fail to see that if we can't do this and that
as designers we are not promoting this how we are to move along towards
sustainable interconnected communities.

Buy the land and free it into a safe common legal entity, then help people
develop the capacity to nurture it, and in this I am speaking too and perhaps
in particular of the urban areas. This definately seems to be the philosophy
developing here in France.

Steve R