permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Permaculture convergence, North America and Upper Midwest

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Tracy Dee Cook <tracydeecook@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Permaculture convergence, North America and Upper Midwest
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 23:37:02 -0800 (PST)

Hello, all - It is encouraging to see this thread developing and is
compelling.

The Upper Midwest Collaborative is meeting in February for the annual
gathering. So far, it's been less of a convergence in a traditional sense
and very open-public invitation to anyone who is interested in permaculture.
Over the past several years the collaborative has coordinated site tours,
work and learn days, sponsored permaculture educators to visit here,
workshops and discussion forums all primarily with a "local focus."

I encourage folks who have 'annual' gatherings in your "region/bioregion" to
publish them here, so that people in nearby regions could have the
possibility to attend.

I mention this since one of our active members moved to Iowa and has helped
grow that connection to his new region and makes a trip up to the twin cities
annually to keep the flow of information across the greater region;
beneficial Cross-pollination!

As I mentioned earlier, our annual gathering is being held here in
Minneapolis next month and I will suggest to the steering committee that
intentional conversation is held regarding the 5 topics posed by Michael P.
below and see if there is interest in a national convergence. ...I trekked
to IPC8 to learn and share and establish connections, since there was no
North America convergence. Keith, thanks for prompting us!

Several years ago I initiated a discussion with our local group to convene a
"Midwest Convergence" w/our Iowa and Wisconsin neighbors. It was one of
those "Why not gather?" I was full of energy for building up "bioregions"
after my PDC and felt empowered to do so. It was tough to gain any momentum
and buy-in locally at that time given the focus to build up capacity of
'local permaculture knowledge.'

We now have a core of upwards of 30 PDC graduates in our region as of this
fall, and I hope you all hear that as good news given that there were only 2
other PDC graduates here in Minnesota at the time I completed mine ~3 years
ago. So, there is perhaps some lesson here or type of equation for building
up locally and reaching out to intentionally connecting beyond your own
home/community. Collaboration takes time and energy and to be sustainable it
takes commitment.

Please don't read too much else into that last paragraph. I'm a tad nervous
to make this posting and I thought it might be encouraging to hear of the
growth in our region and that I would follow-up with folks in my region.

Peace and Power to you all to deepen your sustainable roots; to nourish and
flourish in community this year!

My best,
Tracy

"Regenerate Our Earth"
www.permacultureacrossborders.org
www.permaculturecollaborative.us - Upper Midwest
www.midwestpermaculture.com

"Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net> wrote: Michael Pilarski wrote:

> Hello permaculture community,

> Permaculture Convergence. I think this is a good idea. Lawrence then
> suggested we have regional convergences and then hold a North American
> convergence in cyberspace. I think those are also good ideas. I think that
> all three ideas are good and are compatible. First have regional
> convergences. Then have a North American convergence in person, but at the
> same time expand it to include participation with cyberspace/internet
> linkages. Being together in person allows a certain type of synthesis (and
> deepens friendships) that can’t be done on the internet. Lawrence makes a
> good point that many people won’t be able to afford the travel expense.
> That is inevitable. However, at least some representatives of every region
> should be able to attend.
>
> Earlier this month I circulated a proposal to permaculturists in Washington
> State to hold an Evergreen State Permaculture Convergence in 2008. The
> agenda of the convergence would include: 1) Strengthen the friendships and
> connections between permaculturists in the state. 2) Discuss preparing a
> statewide brochure listing all the permaculture consultants, education
> centers, etc who wish to reach more of the public. 3) Strengthen the lines
> of communication between permaculture people within the state. 4) Make a
> plan of action of how the permaculture community could assist people in the
> advent of a natural disaster or economic collapse. 5) Create a permaculture
> curriculum for a “train the trainers” program in emergency food production.
>
> A Washington state permaculture convergence is very likely to happen in
> 2008. If any reader is interested in attending or helping this convergence
> happen please contact me.
>
> If it precedes a North American convergence we will certainly discuss who
> would like to go and what we might like to contribute to the agenda.

This is a great idea. With a beginning in Washington the idea can spread to
other states and regions within them.
Gradually we could build overlapping local and regional permaculture networks
with convergences for the smallest to the
largest nodes in the network.

<snip>
LL

Google command to search archives: