permaculture - [permaculture] Amy Goldman: Insights into the SSE debate by knowledgeable insiders.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Allan Balliett <aballiett@frontiernet.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Amy Goldman: Insights into the SSE debate by knowledgeable insiders.
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 08:17:48 -0500

Below is the Goldman bio Toby referenced from the Cucurbitaceae conference.

Nowhere does it mention that Amy Goldman is related to the Goldman-Sachs of 5th Avenue and is a high dollar woman with a substantially different point of view than most of we dirt farmers.

Or, so I have been told.

I was told this when I asked an insider at SSE where the $240,000 parachute came from for Kent.

The other part of the answer was that SSE some time ago moved away from being a 'distributive democracy' and started accruing and started competing commercially with small seedsmen around the US.

And then, I must ask this: it is my understanding that Kent will still have 'control' of the external SSE exchange network. If that is the case, is there any need or reason for us to start a new one?

Take everything I've typed here as a question.

-Allan Balliett
BD Now!
bdnow.org

Amy Goldman
We are pleased to announce Ms. Amy Goldman will be our keynote speaker at Cucurbitaceae 2002. Goldman's new book, "Melons for the Passionate Grower", features a hundred heirloom melons, each photographed exquisitely by Victor Schrager, and each with a story. Also included are directions on how to grow, propagate, and harvest them, sources for seeds, and how to become, like Amy Goldman, a seed saver and do something.
Goldman has been featured on a number of television programs, including Martha Stewart Living, NBC's B. Smith With Style and Weekend Today, HGTV's Way to Grow and PBS's The Perennial Gardener.
While Goldman is definitely most at home in her melon patch, she has traveled far and wide in her search for exotic varieties to grow and maintain in her garden and greenhouse. She makes semi-annual treks to rare fruit and vegetable fairs in England, Belgium and France and plans her travels around visits to kitchen gardens and potagers at home and abroad. She even collects tomato seeds off of dinner plates in restaurants and hot peppers in farmer's markets.
Goldman's commitment has extended far beyond her garden. She serves on the Board of Trustees of the New York Botanical Garden and the Seed Savers Exchange. She is a member of many additional garden and professional organizations, including the Horticultural Society of New York, the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society, the American Horticultural Society, and the Garden Writers Association of America.