permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 21:59:46 -0500

Right, the military here is behaving just like the World Bank and IMF, supporting despots to mine the resources of Afghanistan
for the profit of corporations at the expense of the people...same old...same old.

That's why I recommended Bustan whose organizers are struggling to create a new vision and future for the Bedouin people.
The military probably wouldn't like their solutions though the Afghanis could.

Scott Pittman wrote:
I have always had difficulty with "export" as a solution to third world
problems; it is to my mind "a one step solution to a two step ditch".

In Afghanistan the farmers are living in what is essentially a feudal system
under tribal headmen. The headmen get the big payoff while the farmers are
basically getting by. The wealth accumulates in the hands of a few brutal
strongmen and makes its way to organizational despots like the Taliban, who
maintain a climate of repression in the name of Allah.

I don't think that a crop different from poppies (the precursor of heroin)
is going to change much without a major change in the system. Afghan
president Kharsai, is part of that system and is as reluctant to change it
as are the Taliban. It seems what is needed are some models of
sustainability to point the way for farmers that it is possible for them to
determine their own fate and prosper without the traditional leaders riding
on their shoulders.

--
Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47407
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
http://www.PermacultureTradingPost.com
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
http://www.ARCulture.org
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild