permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflj@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 13:20:26 -0500

roxann wrote:
> Do any of you have suggestions as to what kinds of plants Afgans and Iraqis
can grow that will provide an income
> comparable to poppies? Someone from the US military has asked me to do some
research and see if there are
> herbs they can help them get started growing with. He was interested in ginseng, but that won't grow there. It has too > specific a requirement and the profit in growing it comes from the Chinese demand for wild or wild appearing US roots > and the demand won't be the same for ginseng grown in fields. I am not familiar with the growing conditions of that > > region of the world. Will the Indian Ayurvedic herbs grow there? They want to grow something they can export
> to the global market, I believe.

Find a used copy of the JI Rodale book "The Healthy Hunzas" and give it to him. It will list many crops grown in that high country region. Apricots (can the pits be eaten or do they have any/too much cyanide in them), greens, maybe almonds, barley, wheat are crops grown in cold regions of Afganistan.

> Suggestions, information of any sort is welcome. If you would like to be listed as a contact (for consulting/info) in > the packet of information I send this Lieutenant, send me that as well.

Have him subscribe to this list. You can add me (lflj@intrex.net) as a
contact if you want.

LL
--