permaculture - [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "roxann" <roxann@ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies
  • Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:30:05 +0000

Hi All,

Do any of you have suggestions as to what kinds of plants Afgans and Iraqis
can grow that will provide an income comparable to poppies? Someone from the
US military has asked me to do some research and see if there are herbs they
can help them get started growing with. He was interested in ginseng, but
that won't grow there. It has too specific a requirement and the profit in
growing it comes from the Chinese demand for wild or wild appearing US roots
and the demand won't be the same for ginseng grown in fields. I am not
familiar with the growing conditions of that region of the world. Will the
Indian Ayurvedic herbs grow there? They want to grow something they can
export to the global market, I believe.

Suggestions, information of any sort is welcome. If you would like to be
listed as a contact (for consulting/info) in the packet of information I send
this Lieutenant, send me that as well.

Thanks,

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com