permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Robyn Francis <erda@nor.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to Poppies
  • Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:31:55 +1100

The obvious crop, which has an ancient tradition in Aghanistan and was wiped
out by the Taliban, is hemp. There's a world shortage of hemp fibre,
fabrics, hempseed oil - as well as raw primary product there's potential for
village/cottage scale value adding to improve income from this crop. Somehow
I don't see the US military supporting growing of fibre hemp.

The problem for the farmers is they earn more from poppies than any food
crops that can be grown - the raw opium is harvested in the field, is not
bulky for transporting and earns well, which from the farmers perspective
make it an ideal crop especially for remote areas. The challenge is finding
crops that can be easily value added to reduce bulk and increase income.

Ciao
Robyn