permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Pc Wiki

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Pc Wiki
  • Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 11:36:46 -0400

Please excuse my confusion here, but I'm still not sure how to follow these instructions.
Granted, I now have a "page of my own", and I may edit it, but I still want to add other items / links to the ONLINE page (which I just tried again to do and again failed).

At the ONLINE page I click edit and find these instructions:

To assign a page to the 'Online Resource' category, simply add the following text to your page:
<nowiki>[[category:ONLINE]]</nowiki>

Whereas, back at ONLINE there is this:

To assign a page to the 'Online Resource' category, simply add the following text to your page:
[[category:ONLINE]]

Two DIFFERENT sets of instructions, one with unexplained mysterious tags (<nowiki>?)

Also, I logged in, went to ONLINE, then clicked edit to find myself on another page where I am NOT logged in. Do I have to log in every time a new page opens? Or was I automatically logged off due to some kind of time limit? Anyway I logged in again and this time I stayed logged in when I clicked edit.

So, I tried the following which didn't work:
[http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/http://www.ARCulture.org/Association_for_Regenerative_Culture]
<nowiki>[[category:ONLINE]]</nowiki>

Then I tried it with double brackets.
Nope, that didn't work either. What am I missing here? (and WTF is "user scaffolding"?)
Also, I'm missing the instructions that tell me how to put it in ALPHABETICALLY correct placement.

I tried:
[[http://www.ARCulture.org/Association_for_Regenerative_Culture]]
[[category:ONLINE]]

I tried:
[[http://www.ARCulture.org/Association_for_Regenerative_Culture]]
[[category:ONLINE]]
[[category:A]]

When I click show preview I get:

[[1] <http://www.ARCulture.org/Association_for_Regenerative_Culture>]

I tried adding a space after the forward slash:
[[http://www.ARCulture.org/ Association_for_Regenerative_Culture]]
[[category:ONLINE]]
[[category:A]]

Hmmm, that might do it. I'm going to click save page and see what happens.

Well, that just put it at the top of the page and not in the list, so I deleted it.

Please indicate to me the exact form required to perform this should-be-very-simple-but-actually-takes-a-long-time task. I've got at least an hour and a half (not to mention the time to deal with all this email inquiry) into what should be a matter of seconds, right?

Thanks,
Keith

Paul Cereghino wrote:
Keith/Lawrence --
I added an instruction to the category:ONLINE page. It reads:

To assign a page to the 'Online Resource' category, simply add the following text to your page:
[[category:ONLINE]]
And your page will automatically be included in this index.

I typed "Permaculture Activist" into the search box. The wiki engine reported that no such page was found and gave me the option of creating one. I did so, put your link to PA there, and added the text [[category:ONLINE]] to the page. This text string doesn't show up, but indicates to the wiki engine that your page is part of [[category:ONLINE]]. You can create any content you want at your Permaculture Activist page... or other people can add their 2 cents. http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Permaculture_Activist

When creating or editing a page, all the 'top level categories' can be found at the bottom of the edit window. Clicking on these category strings causes them to be pasted into the page currently being edited.

All this and more could use better explanation and user scaffolding. This wiki, and perhaps all wikis still have a learning curve that interferes with spontaneity. Quick intro at: http://www.permaculture.info/index.php/Help:Contents

Paul Cereghino

Keith Johnson wrote:

Lawrence,
That's not what I was trying to do at all.

I was trying to put "Permaculture Activist", hyperlinked in the list under the alphabetic listing "P" and not "http://www.permacultureactivist.net"; and not in the top of the page in a second category.
Keith

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Keith Johnson wrote:

I tried for the first time to enter a link in a category at the wiki.....and failed to achieve the intended result. It appeared on the page but not where I wanted it to appear so I undid it. I still don't know how and the instructions didn't answer my questions. This suggests to me why it is so relatively unused by the permaculture community. 12 people, so far, on the entire planet have posted URLs in the category ONLINE. How many others have tried and failed and abandoned it, I wonder.

BTW, I used this format to achieve partial success:
[http://www.permacultureactivist.net/ Permaculture_Activist]

I gave it a try:

Entered:

[[Permaculture Activist]]

http://www.permacultureactivist.net

This, [[ ]], sets up a new page to be created: [[Permaculture Activist]]

Just type the URL and it automagickally gets hotlinked:
http://www.permacultureactivist.net

Do you have a login account? Good idea to set one up and configure your
preferences.

LL

Keith Johnson
"Be fruitful and mulch apply."
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 5516, Bloomington, IN 47408
(812) 335-0383
http://www.permacultureactivist.net
Impeachment: It's not just for blowjobs anymore.
Switch to Solar Power the Easy Way
http://www.jointhesolution.com/KeithJ-SunPower
http://www.PowUr.com/KeithJ-SunPower
Blog: http://kjpermaculture.blogspot.com/
http://www.permacultureactivist.net/design/Designconsult.html
also APPLE-Bloomington (Alliance for a Post-Petroleum Local Economy) It's a
small world after oil.
also Bloomington Permaculture Guild