permaculture - Re: [permaculture] 2030

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <listmail@lorendavidson.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] 2030
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 14:02:06 -0700

This is why I bring dominion to this listserv. Permaculture was
conceived in systems theory and it's mantra, "The solution is in the
problem," contains the wisdom of systems theory. It's not about
plugging in the next external "solution," the newest new technology. It's about balancing human interactions within the natural order. That,
in my opinion, is what Permaculture ought to be doing, instead of
sinking all of our energies into growing food for ourselves.

I think there is room within Permaculture to do all of the above.

By growing food for ourselves, we are cutting down on the amount of fuel needed to transport our food to us. As petroleum use is one of the big drivers of ecological issues, that's not an insignificant thing.

Also, Pc is about many elements serving each function, and many functions served by each element. I don't think you'd suggest we become a "monoculture" of political action. Besides, once we get outside our own communities, our "leverage" to make changes goes down in a hurry. Think globally and act locally, y'know.

Permaculture has to
step up and serve nature by saving enough life to prevent a total
planetary ecological collapse around 2030.

Pc ain't the only folks who need to step to the plate. And even if the current ecology collapses, the planet and the biosphere will survive in the long term. It survived the extinction of the dinosaurs, with or without the addition of asteroid collisions. It will survive the human race.

The planet will be here another four billion years, until the Sun either goes cold or goes red giant. If you sterilized every microbe of life on Earth tomorrow, life would eventually arise here again.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't work at being part of the solution rather than part of the problem. Just that, in the Greater Scheme, we need to keep in mind that there *is* a Greater Scheme. And in it, we humans aren't really that important.

Just another POV,

Loren
--
Loren Davidson listmail@lorendavidson.com