permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Shit

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Vlaun <scott@moosepondarts.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Shit
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:36:39 -0400

We've had a simple, Jenkins inspired, under the radar, sawdust driven bucket and bin system here in frigid Maine for seven years with no problems. The whole thing freezes for bit in the winter but heats up again in the spring. It took 6 years to fill our first roughly 1.7x1.7x1.5 meter bin, which is now in it's second year of anearobic composting. Next year when it has had a full two years of rest with no additions we will spread it on some forest crops. Super simple, cheap and effective and as long as the sawdust always covers the shit, it is quite sanitary and odor free. There is no reason why the system couldn't be used in a high density situation as long at the repository was properly managed. It's just a matter of hauling few buckets around, not unlike "putting out the garbage." The root of the problem is fecophobia, (and laziness) not lack of technology.

Scott Vlaun
Moose Pond Arts+Ecology
Design Solutions for a Sustainable Future

450 Main St. Studio 2
Norway, Maine 04270
207-739-2409 Studio
207-890-4099 Cell