permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy Policy-The Sustainability of Bio...

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Design-Bioregional-Energy Policy-The Sustainability of Bio...
  • Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 14:03:11 EDT

I'd still like to echo the original comment, which was that someone should do
the math to see how viable next-generation solar would be for providing power
to the state of Florida.

Here are the 2004 figures for energy consumption in that state.

http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/states/sep_sum/html/sum_btu_tot.html

I see they used 755.2 trillion btus of natural gas-- nearly all, I would
suspect, in electrical generation-- plus 325.5 trillion btus from nuclear
power,
699.1 trillion btus from coal, 176.1 trillion btus from biomass and a
negligible amount (2.7 trillion btus) from hydroelectric power. Or, very
roughly,
1,200,000,000,000 btus total for the year.

That's a lot of juice. Just so we can wrap our heads around the concept,
could someone with a grasp of the new solar technology size a system for us
that
could, say, provide just a trillion btus per year? I'd like to see what we're
talking about.

Michael