permaculture - [permaculture] Permaculture designs for small towns?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Michelle Maggiore" <mmaggior@mindspring.com>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] Permaculture designs for small towns?
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:39:58 -0400

I am aware of deisgns for urban and rural homesteads, and intentional
communities as well as community centers, but I am interested to hear if
people on this list have had experience with reviving small towns
(populations of 1000 or less) with permaculture design. Our small town is
currently undergoing an unfortunate (and some think unnecessary) re-design,
including cutting down all the trees that had lined the streets so that all
power and overhead lines could be "sunk", to make it look more like
Williamsburg, VA. Presumably, the tourists are going to flock here after the
work is done, because it will be so attractive, but during the course of the
work in the past year, 80% of the businesses have either left or died. There
must be someone on this list who has seen similar situations and been
involved in remedying the situation?
Any information, resources and tips are greatly appreciated....
many thanks~
Michelle in VA

SUSTAINABLE SCOTTSVILLE
Creating sustainable options right here at home:
www.sustainablescottsville.com

  • [permaculture] Permaculture designs for small towns?, Michelle Maggiore, 06/18/2007