permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Politics-Is it relevent to Permaculture?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Kenneth Benway" <ken@arcadiandesign.org>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Politics-Is it relevent to Permaculture?
  • Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 08:25:42 -0400

Sue,
Look at David Holmgren's Permaculture Flower in
"Permaculture-Patterns of Abundance" There are seven petals on the
flower, the gray petal addresses "Land Tenure and Community Governance"
This, for me is all the evidence I need to support a political
discussion in a permaculture venue. After all dysfunctional government
policies have been one of our biggest obstacles in moving us towards a
sustainable planet. We simply cannot afford to ignore the impact these
political issues have on the whole. Imagine the army of Permaculture
activists it might take to heal the people and land in Iraq or similar
places compared to the prevention of these insane events with sound,
sane foreign policy in the United States (this is just one of thousands
of examples where bad policy causes us to take one step forward and ten
steps back) Policy, expressed through "Politics" must include
individuals like ourselves who can see the bigger picture and connect
the dots. An ounce of prevention is worth ton of cure.
Given the host of topics being discussed on this tread, I am
attempting to encourage us to structure our topics in a manner that
identifies them in a more clearly defined way. Politics may not interest
everyone, the pruning of fruit trees may not as well. We choose what
topics interest us and those that don't. To exclude thoughtful political
discussion in this arena is to ignore looking at the whole. Not looking
at the whole is not permaculture in my view.
Sincerely,
Ken Benway
Arcadian Design
St Petersburg Fl