permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Ron Paul for president of the United States ofAmerica

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <bwaldrop@cox.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Ron Paul for president of the United States ofAmerica
  • Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2007 16:06:08 -0500

I would like to encourage people to connect their political posts with permaculture. I think encouraging people to think in permaculture ways about their politics is a good thing. I tend to think that permaculture praxis is itself a very effective politics these days. I also think that the focus so many people have on Imperial politics (of the left, right, and center) is one of many distractions that keep us busy at everything except those things which really have a chance of evolving our system in a more sustainable, just, and humane direction. That trick is much older than Machiavelli.

If things could be reformed from the top down, well, that would be another situation, but that isn't how things are in the real world. Any number of people have tried that in human history, often for the best of motives, but somehow they always end up turning to the gulag and mass terror since people ignorantly and persistently refuse to see the wisdom of those who have chosen themselves as "leaders". Try grafting pecan wood on a lambs quarter plant, and see how effective that top down strategy is. If you grafted your pecan wood onto a suitable root stock, however, that promises success.

I would not want to see politics banned in our discussions here, but I do think that since permaculture is the topic of this listserv, folks should try to think about their politics in light of all that permaculture has to teach us about human culture and its place in the natural ecology.

Bob Waldrop, Oklahoma City

----- Original Message ----- From: "Trudie Redding" <tredding@mail.utexas.edu>