permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Myron Mykyta <myronmykyta@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:06:36 -0800 (PST)

A common thread in my local green/permaculture community is a strong calling
from Daniel Quinn's "Ishmael" to enact natural, permaculture, and especially
'old ways' -- sustainable ways -- of living. In tieing this post to the
spirituality issue, I took Ishmael as actually emphasizing (or at least
reinforcing) Jesus' Christianinty (not necessarily the Church's version,
though); "Leave all behind and follow me" was a reminder that the natural
ways -- that 'God' gave us -- are the right way. That's even an issue related
to permaculture, are we acting as 'little gods' in our agriculture or should
we be practicing even more natural systems, focusing on harvesting wild
edibles, etc.

Myron

"All great truths begin as blasphemies"
-George Bernard Shaw