permaculture - Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: roxy6c <roxy6c@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] permaculture spirituality
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 12:27:49 -0800 (PST)

The "domination" or colonization practice and memeplex
is a direct result of agriculture. Agriculture creates
a surplus which leads to a population increase, which
in turn requires annexation of new land to provide
more crops to feed the population. In an economic
system based on constant growth (like our current
one), you must expand or face collapse. Like Toby
said, populations that do not practice agriculture do
not have these practices and memes. Check out Jared
Diamond's "Guns Germs & Steel" for a theory of why
Eurasians were more successful at colonization.

Organized religion (Judao-Christian, Islam, Buddhist,
Confucian) works well as a control mechanism for
agriculture, by setting people up to expect a life of
toil and/or giving them a justification for expansion
through holy wars or converting heathens. The latter
worked especially well under Christianity, but farmers
stamped out most of the "pagans" long before the
Christians arrived.

My personal opinion is that most New Age stuff out
there is not really land or community based, but more
about self-gratification, and so does not interest me
much. I've met too many newagers who've waxed poetic
about things like "the spirit of the bear", without
ever having encountered a real bear in their lives or
understanding the nature of the animal. If people are
out there strengthening their communities and
developing their own specific land-based
spiritualities, then more power to them. But I haven't
seen that very often.

=== message truncated ===

http://tv.yahoo.com/collections/265