permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Fermented foods

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Fermented foods
  • Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2007 03:11:36 -0500

mIEKAL aND wrote:

My partner Camille who is from Romania has made this a number of times, its quite good when you get used to the flavor. This is what the Romanians also call Borsh (no beets in Romanian borsh). Below is a translation of how to make the fermented broth. You can then use this to make any number of different soups. Dill, celeriac & lovage would be standard herbs to use with this.

It would be good to learn to make this. Unfamiliar territory for most eople I
would guess.

Borsh recipe:
1 lb/500 g wheat bran, 2/3 lb/300 g corn meal, 1 oz/30 g yeast, one lemon, 2-3 slices bread
For this you need a 5-6 quart non-metal & non-plastic container. Put bran and corn meal in. Add yeast (or solid leftovers from previous batch of borsh). On top of this, add boiling or very hot water to the top. After it cools off, add one sliced lemon (with peel), as well as the bread. Then, mix this concoction every morning and evening with a long-handled wooden utensil. Taste it after a few days, and if it is sour enough, place container in a cool place so that the liquid clears. The solid stuff will sink to the bottom. Then put the clear liquid in bottles and keep them in a cool place. The solids are to be kept in the same container and after you finish the borsh in the bottles, you can start again. You only add boiling water on top of it & the herbs (for rich flavor). Note: Don 't leave the clear borsh to sit on the solids or it will turn bitter.

Can you substitute oat or rice bran for the wheat? I assume you mean baking
yeast, the refrigerated kind;
doesn't the hot water stop the action of the yeast?

--
Lawrence F. London, Jr.
Venaura Farm