permaculture - [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Charles de Matas" <cdematas@hotmail.com>
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 16:43:21 +0000

Any idea why the indifference to double digging? I am giving it a try, to help with my compacted soil. I double dug a small area some months ago and am now waiting for some rain to plant in it. It may not necessarily be more labour intensive than non-digging methods. It can be done on a small scale in zone 1 near the house. If it produces more yield per sq. m. and reduces need for water it may actually save labour (at least that's the theory).
I am going to try various modalities to see what works for the conditions that I have: compacted clay soils, high risk of bush fires in the dry season. Even though I live in the tropics I would like to try to model the traditional english type of garden, enclosed by hedges, with compost heaps and double dug beds. The plant varieties will be different of course.
Charles.

<<
Please provide further comments on this section of your reply:

"And for the Central Texas Jeavons model, 4,000 SF per head: Mollison always
mocked double digging and the like. To quote his (sometimes made-up)
statistics, one large tree has 17 acres of leaf area. Figure tree crops,
mixed horticulture, animals in the landscape, ponds, call it Permaculture if
you must, versus Jeavons-style gardens and vegetarianism (as religion), and
I'll bet the numbers come a lot closer to doable, even in Central Texas,
unless you can't stand the heat."

I've heard of Jaevons, but not read or heard of about "Central Texas Jeavons
model, 4,000 SF per head". What is "4000 SF per head"? And did he do something
specific regarding Central Texas? Thanks.

FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar - get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/