permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Multiple digging without so much work.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Multiple digging without so much work.
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 21:50:58 -0400

Jeavon's book entered my gardening library 31 years ago. Ruth Stout's mulch books were my first. I did them both....a lot.... and now for the last 20 years I don't double dig, or even dig, if I can avoid it. I'm starting another home garden on a new site with very heavy clay (the kind you can roll into a pencil....very quickly...it wants to be a wetland or pond). At the age of 53, having previously personally bodily moved thousands and thousands of tons of rock, soil, mulch, gravel, compost, and more, I am electing to not dig once again. No need to work hard to produce the amount I have time to attend to. I rely heavily on perennials. I harvest my lawn and shrubbery and trees for mulch and glean the neighborhood for additional input. Salads are easy and so many things (like perennials) are next to effortless to grow. I could double dig. I still have the stamina and even, occasionally, time to do it....but I'm not likely to do so. If I were trying to set some kind of local record for production, I might aerate the soil a little more. But I don't grow mostly annual vegetables (which prefer bacterially dominated soils...perens prefer fungal domination...kinky, eh?). I end up challenging most of my annuals to tolerate higher levels of fungal soil since I have so many perennials. I save seed and find that open pollinated types can "learn" to thrive in many soil types as long as there is enough decomposing litter (and sometimes minerals) for them. With mulch I find that "pests" like voles, moles, etc, do an excellent job of "multiple digging", then the worms, millipedes, and pillbugs do their jobs of converting carbon, so I don't have to compost. Turns several problems into a solution. I'm quite fond of hugelkultur, too (which can also can yield a lovely compost for seedling mix).

Keith

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

Charles de Matas wrote:

Any idea why the indifference to double digging? I am giving it a try, to help with my compacted soil. I double dug a small area some months ago and am now waiting for some rain to plant in it. It may not necessarily be more labour intensive than non-digging methods. It can be done on a small scale in zone 1 near the house. If it produces more yield per sq. m. and reduces need for water it may actually save labour (at least that's the theory).

Double digging a garden plot may be the best way to improve soil without using
any power equipment.

--
Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine