permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Toby Hemenway <toby@patternliteracy.com>
  • To: permaculture list <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Global Food Supply Near the Breaking Point
  • Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 08:11:31 -0700

Sean has caught the paradox of food neatly. The huge spike in population of
the last half-century is due in large part to the massive inputs of
petroleum into food production (with subsidiary roles played by medicine and
sanitation). Without the injection of oil into food, Earth's population
would have peaked at 2 or 3 billion and then declined as agriculture
continued to exhaust arable land as it inexorably does. Instead we've grown
another 3 billion people with another 3 billion or so on the way. The
"surplus" of food that is not being equally distributed is all due to oil.

It's a dilemma: if we try to "feed the world," by releasing all that grain,
population will simply increase further, followed in a couple of decades by
a colossal die-off of billions when the oil runs out. If we withhold that
oil-based food now, hundreds of millions or more will starve sooner. The
"logical" thing to do is to let the smaller number starve now and avoid a
much more massive humanitarian and ecological (as we pillage the earth in
desperation) disaster in the future. But the moral choice is to keep people
alive: oil-based life support for a terminal population.

Sadly, it's all going to sort itself out as we soon will no longer be able
to use oil to grow food. The choice will be made for us because we have
avoided making it for so long.

Toby
www.patternliteracy.com