permaculture - Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] National Animal ID program
  • Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 00:05:40 -0500

Heather wrote:

Hi everyone,

I just spoke with the guy who invented the microchip idea. He told me
he had a five hour meeting with the US Secretary of Agriculture last
week, and that most of those rumors are not at all true. Yes, this is a
registry program for beef and poultry, but it won't target the random
pet and livestock owner. Microchips don't work apparently, as they
migrate around on the body, so it will be tattoos or some other form of
identification. This is happening around fear of bird flu virus and mad
cow disease. He said that all the other rumours about registering our
cats, dogs and parakeets is b.s. He's very involved with this project,
as well as being a real supporter of organic agriculture, etc... He has
a wife with Multiple Chemical Sensitivities and gave the Secretary of
Agriculture an earful about that too... Anyhow, thought I'd dispel some
of the hysteria out there, as I was well on my way to becoming a vector
of it myself.

Heather

Why did you post this total BS, Heather? How on Earth could you make up a
story like this.
I X posted this to a serious farming list and the entirety of it was
completely refuted.
Might be a good idea to do proper research before posting unfounded rumors to
this list.

Here's the reply I got, in case you or anyone else is interested:

"First, I must say that the post you just submitted appears to be total BS.

There is no "guy that invented the micro chip idea" there are two huge
corporations that are working on the technology.

Second, it is more than a registry program for beef and poultry. Read the rule! It is for all livestock, no matter how many or how few or what species. No matter if corporate, small farm or homestead.

Pets do not apply under the NAIS ruling. I have never even hear a rumor to that effect. Don't know where your friend got the idea that parakeets will get a microchip. On that note, dogs and cats get them everyday, for tracking and ID purposes. Just not under the NAIS ruling...

Thirdly, microchips are not the method of tagging all animals. Some get microchips, some get retinal scans, some are DNA identified, some get ear tags, etc. It is dependant on what is deemed the best method for each species. The NAIS website actually has a subsite that lists the protocol for each individual species.

Your friend Heather says this microchip inventor is organic friendly, I find it hard to believe that anyone this closely linked to NAIS could give a hoot about organics.

Yes, fear and paranoia about avian influenza are helping sell NAIS to the
public.

As for hysteria, this NAIS is serious business. I think your friend Heather and/or her source of information is a hoax or a wing nut."