permaculture - Re: [permaculture] wood burning stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: neshura <neshura@gmail.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] wood burning stoves
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 10:24:33 -0500

I looked at masonry stoves, but at $4,000 to $15,000 USD for one of
the lovely and efficient stoves from Tulikivi (tulikivi.com), the
emission-free option really is hard on the pocketbook. Even as an
eco-yuppie, I'd think twice before dropping that kind of cash. The
other options are mainly custom building and installation and kits.

As well, the propensity of American architects to pack in lots of
small rooms into a house in order to tout its resale value, rather
than use a more flexible open floorplan design, makes a radiant
heating stove less effective. One has to circulate the warmed air
through all the rooms or be willing to spend all your time within line
of sight of the stove. Admittedly, heating air rather than people is
moronic at best, but people, unfortunately, have legs and tend to
wander.

If there were a way to get a masonry stove for a reasonable price and
incorporate them into home design up front, I'd consider it a selling
point when looking at a house. It was one of the things I liked about
the prefab Glidehouse -- a large open area heated by a tiny and very
efficient woodstove in the winter and cooled with clerestory windows
and natural airflow in the summer.

The problem, I think, is that there just isn't the market to support
stone and tile stoves in the States right now. Perhaps as gas gets
more expensive people will turn back to wood instead of opening up
more coastlands for exploratory gas drilling...

For anyone interested in this option, check out the Masonry Heater
Associations website for more information. http://www.mha-net.org/