permaculture - Re: [permaculture] perm Digest, Vol 37 Iss 15: wood stoves / 3 dogwood night

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] perm Digest, Vol 37 Iss 15: wood stoves / 3 dogwood night
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 15:36:55 -0500

I've found that several dry dogwood (4-5 in diameter) logs will produce durable coals that last overnight into the next afternoon, about 14-17 hours. Similar results with Black Locust of the same diameter. This is even with the damper allowing fair amounts of air in. Caution: overdamping stoves for long burns usually result in long smoulders instead of long fires, with poor heat production, buildup of flammable creosote, and toxic gases added in. Get a magnetic stovepipe thermometer and monitor your stove's function, burn a hot enough fire (260- 460F) and make sure to seal cracks if the stove is old. Mass heaters, eg kacheloffen, rely on fast and hot fires with low fuel mass and will make the best use of the BTU's available.
Keith