permaculture - Re: [permaculture] wood burning stoves

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Clint Popetz <clint@cpopetz.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] wood burning stoves
  • Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2006 09:02:09 -0600

On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 03:58:38PM -0500, neshura wrote:
> It's not the CO2 that plagues the wood-based heating route, it's
> everything else -- particulates and gases from incomplete combustion,
> tars and carcinogens from DIY charcoal production, etc. -- summed
> across the home heating requirements of 6 billion people.
>
> Burning a tree is carbon neutral as long as you replace it with another.
>
> It's one of those things where wood burning is great as long as hardly
> anyone is doing it.

...like all things. Why should we reject a technique because 6
billion people doing it would be harmful? What lifestyle choice would
we possibly expect 6 billion people to agree to make? We don't have
to play everyman with our choices. If everyone in my town had a wood
burning stove, I wouldn't get all the free wood I get when folks take
down trees :)

I should clarify that when I talked about not having to get up in the
middle of the night, I meant that I get a really good fire going and
heat the house up, then drop the damper, which activates the catalytic
converter at around 1200+, and go to bed. The fire burns out (no smoldering)
within four hours or so, but the retained heat created keeps the house
reasonable until the morning. I have almost no creosote buildup in 2
years of using the stove (a Vermont Castings) with very good draft,
and you'd be hard pressed to see any smoke coming out my chimney,
except when lighting the stove.

-Clint