permaculture - Re: [permaculture] TOOLS! [[gardening hand tools]]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Sharon Gordon" <gordonse@one.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, <SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU>, <marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org>, <growingsmallfarms@lists.ncsu.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] TOOLS! [[gardening hand tools]]
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:09:29 -0500

I'd like a stair climber style foot powered water pump that can be used to
pump water out of rivers/ponds/creeks for the garden. I'd like a good
design that won't clog.

Another item that would be extremely useful is a stationary bicycle powered
or stair climber style foot powered chipper shredder that can be safely
opperated by one person or two. For example sole operator could load hopper
and then press debris with bat style presser while climbing/petaling. With
two operators, one could load while other presses and climbs/petals. Debris
hopper should gravity feed as much as possible to minimize pressing chores.
Hopper should be designed like powered versions to prevent contact with
cutting parts and to eject chips safely. General use would be for chipping
garden debris such as fresh or dry tomato vines and smaller, but it would be
nice if it could shift gears easily to do corn stalks and similar sized tree
branches.

Sharon
gordonse@one.net