permaculture - [permaculture] TOOLS! [[gardening hand tools]]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>, SANET-MG@LISTS.IFAS.UFL.EDU, marketfarming@lists.ibiblio.org, growingsmallfarms@lists.ncsu.edu
  • Subject: [permaculture] TOOLS! [[gardening hand tools]]
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 01:31:11 -0500

I need ideas and information (pictures, drawings, diagrams, text documentation) on hand gardening (and homesteading) tools, tried and proven and used worldwide in all cultures. Tools for working dirt and plants for gardeners, market farmers, landscapers, landscape gardeners, nurserymen and foresters are my main interest.

Do any of you have a garden tools wishlist? Do you use any tools regularly
that are OK but could use some design,
construction or materials improvement? Do you need any tools for certain tasks, often repeated, that are either not on the market, are available but are either too hard to obtain (i.e. from foreign source) or too expensive or are available but are not quite the right design (too small, too heavy, not balanced/incorrect ergonomically, not the right shape, wrong handle, etc.)?

I have nearly two dozen tool designs in mind that, if constructed or manufactured, could help gardeners do a better job in less time, with some able to do unique jobs. Two out of this list are exceptionally useful almost to the point of being indispensible. These are manufactured in some form or another around the globe and some are available in the US.
I have explored mass producing these two (for starters) to market online myself and through other companies who do mail order sales. Of course the first entrepreneur in the PRC who sees mine (I do not plan to patent them - probably not possible, anyway) and goes hunting for an array of local job shops with production and export in mind (to The Borg, USA)
may usurp my hard won market share :-).

I am seeking tool design and marketing ideas from folks who would like to see certain world-class, lifetime, highly functional gardeners tools manufactured and made readily available for a reasonable price. I would also be interested in knowing of existing mail order/web order companies who might want to carry my products.

This sourcelist may give you some ideas and items for your wishlist:
http://market-farming.com/gardening-hand-tools.faq

Thanks for any feedback!

Lawrence London
http://market-farming.com