permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Red Rock, Tx: real help for families on the edge

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Red Rock, Tx: real help for families on the edge
  • Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2006 08:58:23 -0500 (EST)

While most peach cultivars are self-fertile, most apples and plums are
not. Generally two cultivars of apple are needed close enough for
pollination, sometimes more (especially if one is triploid; their pollen
tends to be sterile). Under some circumstances as in Britain, time of
blossoming is significant. Plum pollination and compatibilities may be
more complicated.

Are blackberries and pecans self-fertile?

Adaptation of cultivars for organic/low-input growing in important;
especially for people whose ability to invest in new knowledge, skills,
equipment or supplies may be limited.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada