permaculture - [permaculture] greywater or graywater

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "lynnann" <lynnann@newnorth.net>
  • To: <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] greywater or graywater
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2005 12:50:46 -0600

Hi all...one more comment regarding mound septic systems or any that rely on
pumps to move effluent.

I'm not sure I mentioned this in a past post....but I'm on a mission to
replace as many of my electric appliances and what not with manual
equipment. When my food processor burned up...I went to Goodwill and bought
three different hand crank meat/grain grinders. When the coffee bean grinder
failed...I bought a very nice old crank coffee grinder. My juicer is getting
ready to bite the bullet...so I will be looking for a small "press" soon.
Any ideas you all have come up with to enable me to pitch the electric stuff
would be welcome.

I know if I were to increase the size of our tiny house...the county would
require I install a mound system septic...to replace my current
system.....which is a 1940's original two tank system (holding tank with 100
seep line to a dry well tank).

Up here we have frequent power outages as well as spiraling and dizzying
electric increases. Anything we can do to live less dependently on
electricity is my idea of "smart". I'm compiling a list of manual
appliances to post in the store.

Walt...I would love to know the none electric alternatives being used where
you are.... and thanks Laurence for the links...I would love to be prepared
when the occasion comes and I have to go to bat for another way of dealing
with septic issues. love and peace...lynnann