permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Selwyn Polit <selwyn@austintx.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 08:57:43 -0500

When I came to Permaculture less than 5 years ago, I was certainly a product of the western culture. No idea which way the Sun moved across the sky even. I was ignorant. I am well educated in the ways of our culture but seriously lacking in knowledge of growing food and setting up any kind of systems that serve humans and nature well. Our culture has done a poor job of informing us of meaningful priorities and left us ignorant. That leaves our planet in a serious state with many problems.

I organize and teach Permaculture courses here in Austin (Texas, USA) and people hungrily eat this stuff up. We don't want to become snobs with the "only" answer, but we can be proud that we are doing things in a far superior way than what has been done. Bravo Permies - keep up the good work.

Selwyn