permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bill McDorman <bm@seedsave.org>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 20:04:49 -0700

Probably the best coverage of this idea that all we have to do is apply our
hearts and knowledge and hard work to fix those left out of the prosperous
world is a rather recent science fiction book written by a scientist.

The Sparrow, by Mary Doria Russell

Her story is about Jesuits who try to help the underclass on the first
populated planet discovered by earthlings. The story helps to clarify just
how many assumptions we make when treading on new cultural ground,
assumptions that may lead us to shocking places if we don't pay attention.

A great read. Great characters. Powerful message. This thread would be
much different if its contributors had even a little of Mary's humility.

bill

__o
_'\<,_
Bill W. McDorman