permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 09:03:07 EDT

Adam offers that "There are a number of issues
that really have me worried. There seems to me to be an awful
number of people, and a large concentration of them within the
Permaculture movement, that feel that formal education is the
holy grail and we should all be qualified teachers in order to
educate others."

I think this is in a way understandable. Once one devotes one's life to the
study of permaculture, it occurs to one that we need to make our living
somehow
as well as just live in harmony with Nature. And what better way than to
teach a Permaculture course, to other interested parties?

I submit that there is a need for this kind of service, as there exist many
people who (1) are comfortable learning within the teacher-student paradigm,
and (2) pick up the gist much faster that way. Plus, of course, (3) they are
willing to pay cash for this service.

So we are in a "consenting adults" mode here. Any of us who learn more
readily directly from nature are free of course to disregard the occasional
notices
here that such and such a course is being offered. It costs less and for many
of us it works just as well.

Just my two cents again.

Michael