permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Carrie Shepard" <outlikeelijah@gbronline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Educating the ignorant
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 07:37:23 -0500

<<<The first step might be to abandon the mindsets that you have a role as
an 'educator' or that the people you propose to interact with are
'ignorant'.>>>

Isn't this the age-old 'snag' of applying one's values to the rest of the
world? I'm just now reading Out of Africa and Dennison gives a lot of
stories of how differently the natives think about things than the english,
and also how they respect her opinion on some things.

I happen to be a follower of the way, and believe the poor will always be
with us. Progress as a value/goal for society is one of those humanistic
lies I think, though I'd love for everyone to live comfortably and have
enough food and clothing, there will always be those who have free will to
NOT receive those basic promises.

Blessings,

Carrie