permaculture - RE: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Carrie Shepard" <outlikeelijah@gbronline.com>
  • To: "'permaculture'" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup
  • Date: Wed, 13 Apr 2005 13:11:29 -0500

Hooray!, Robert, for spreading more spring cheer!

Last night a saw a gorgeous large bouquet made for a Cherokee association
meeting out of: Sand Plum blossoms, lilacs, purple irises,and yellow
daffodils in a pretty yellow can of some sort. I commented on how lovely it
was (and a fantastic display from LOCAL blooms) and the plum blossoms and
was told that these are also called Mayhaws? I was also told that they
make wonderful jam (which I haven't made myself yet, but I ordered a sand
plum butter last month from the oklahomafood.coop and have enjoyed it.

Another alternative to fake syrups on pancakes and waffles is to use yogurt
and fresh or frozen fruit and a bit of honey. You can make a smoothie out
of yogurt or fresh kefir and it's really delicious and healthy. I'm
enjoying a kefir smoothie right now made from my raw goats milk, some local
raw honey, 2 egg yolks from my free range poultry, and a sprinklin' of
nutmeg. Delicious!

Making kefir ought to be talked about more on permaculture lists as it's a
great way to keep milk fresh (or rather consumable) without refridgeration
and keep one out of the doctor's offices. See
http://users.chariot.net.au/~dna/kefir-faq.html and

>From studying kefir I have learned how to also safely make and store my own
lacto-fermented vegetables using some of the kefir-whey to jumpstart the
ferment safely. I've done carrots, veggie krauts, pickled beets, and green
beans all with this method and gotten a lot of digestive health restoration
along with increased energy levels and a major reduction in allergic
enthusiasm to continue implementing permaculture practices as I can learn
them.

Blessings,
Carrie
In NE OK on 2.4 acres with ducks, bunnies, goats, chickens, cats, a dog, 2
large gardens, an orchard, and the latest addition is a 12 X 20 foot steel
framed hoophouse made for right under $150.