permaculture - Re: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lisa Rollens" <rollens@fidnet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] alternatives to maple syrup
  • Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2005 11:02:19 -0500

Sycamores can be tapped too. I think I read that years ago in Euell Gibbons book??? Also, long ago in Mother Earth News they had an article about making syrup from watermelons...about 17 large melons make a gallon. Same technique...smash the pulp of the melons, strain and boil down to syrup. I've always been wanting to try that, but haven't had a chance yet....

Lisa, in the Ozarks, US