permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Distance and low income courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "L.Santoyo Designs" <santoyo@earthflow.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Distance and low income courses
  • Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2005 12:22:32 -0800

---
When the issues of "costs" and making courses more economical come up... I've noticed that it is usually brought up by people that don't actually have the experience of ever organizing a course...

Never have I heard from the person who just went through the energy outputs of organizing a course, to go on to ask for -less money next time!..

It seems to me that the issues presented of making things more affordable are the same across the board, with everything... why don't "they" make rent cheaper for me? -why don't "they" make musical instruments cheaper for me? -why don't "they" make solar panels cheaper for me?..

Why? One reason is that it takes energy to transfer energy -remember?... Also remember that we are talking, first, about a sustainable future -not a subsidized future... One would think that out of all of "them" and "us" out there -at least the people interested in Permaculture would understand that, like in nature, in order to make it sustainable, we all must pay our own way; we contribute and are pleased with the opportunity to pay the "true" costs of all energy transfers; We strive to become contributors -not subsidized consumers.

We also have to remember to escape the clutches of egocentrism and realize that there is a myriad of niches and demographics out there -where "high" and/or "low" cost become relative... "I can't afford the course so therefore 'it' should be cheaper" -that reasoning is flawed.

Our organization offers courses at various times and in various venues, targeting various demographics with prices depending entirely on overhead. Our courses have ranged from $1850.00 to $850.00. What is interesting though, is that we get the same number of requests for discounts, and complaints, and the same amount of gratitude and kudos about the prices of our courses -no matter what the base price is!?.

I think that Permaculture Design is comparable, at least, to other professional design training. The courses that I have taken in architecture, engineering and design have cost two to three times what I have paid for permaculture courses. Hell -music events have cost me more -per hour- than a design course... We've all seen catalogs from various institutions offering courses in massage, yoga, belief systems, pseudo- and psycho -spiritual practices, chakra and other balancing, even just -breathing! Most of these courses cost up to three times as much as the Design Courses I see advertised. Some of my students have the gall or naivete to tell me that they can't afford my class because they have to take one of the above mentioned training programs!?! -It's all about priority and commitment.

At the courses we offer, no one comes for free... We try to make the costs to the consumer as low as we can and still be sustainable for us. Although it significantly adds to the overall costs of our overhead, we do offer at least 8 or more ways to pay for the true costs:

-We accept trades for goods and services...
-Work trades -a very good way to get the information and muscle memory experience.
-I always direct people to the Permaculture Credit Union -to ask them for a loan, agree to pay them back and help the whole permaculture community...
-I also take credit cards...
-We have a marketing representative program -where you recruit full paying students in exchange for tuition credits for yourself...
-And we can set up a payment plan for you.
-We also use lots of energy (again more overhead costs on our end) to solicit sponsors to help you with tuition scholarships.
- Another way I ask is that people organize a course for us in their area -in exchange they get to take the course and get paid for their effort...

And finally, how about take it seriously enough to save up the money? Pay full price for the transfer of knowledge...

With respect,

Larry Santoyo
San Luis Obispo, CA
http://www.earthflow.com/consulting.html