permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Robert Waldrop" <rmwj@soonernet.com>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?
  • Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2005 08:46:30 -0600

Sigh. Permaculture politics.

I am not qualified, fortunately, to have a real
opinion about some of these detailed discussions,
being as how I have never been to a full scale
design course, only a weekend intro plus five
years or so of reading on my own, trying to figure
out concepts.

If I could have my own permaculture wish (where is
that fairy godmother when you need her?), it would
be for a way to make permaculture more accessible
to those with lower incomes.

Regarding permaculture training, as I understand
it the basic course is lecture oriented. This
being the case, I have a suggestion for a
permaculture experiment and observation. One
thing I have learned about permaculture is the
importance of observation and being willing to try
new and different choices.

What about an on-line or "distance learning"
permaculture design course? ("Distance learning"
is the modern name for what used to be called
"correspondence courses".)

It could combine the following elements:

(1) Required readings,
(2) online discussion forum (presumably limited to
the attendees)
(3) Maybe even a "chat" forum for live
discussions.

Cyberspace has both limitations and opportunities
for personal contact, about which I won't say much
more right now, but having been in cyberspace
since hmmm 1993, and moderating many discussion
groups (21 at most recent count), it is a way to
convey a massive amount of information. And
several of the groups I moderate have, over time,
developed into tender and caring human
communities, even though we are scattered all over
the world and have never met in person.

A regular program of permaculture distance
learning would help open up permaculture training
to people with lower incomes. I am not
necessarily suggesting free training, but I would
suggest a lower tuition charge than is presently
generally the case, since more students could be
accomodated via distance learning than in an
in-person course. using the internet would
eliminate the cost of travel, which adds to the
price of permaculture training, and it also
resolves the time problem. e.g., I get 2 weeks
vacation per year, so if I do a full design
course, there goes my annual vacation. And while
a permaculture course would be "getting away" from
my normal routine, I wouldn't think of it as a
vacation.

Anyway, this is my suggestion.

Robert Waldrop
Oklahoma City