permaculture - Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: Permaculture ibiblio <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] anyone else want to host this list?
  • Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 22:56:16 -0500

Sorry, I accidentally resent Loren's reply to Michael before I added my comments to it. Loren basically echoed my feelings but with a teasing yet pointed comeback. Michael has a lot of ideas which deserve consideration and conversation. More types of courses, which address other areas than just the design of properties for food production, sounds promising and needed to enlarge both the scope and audience for Permaculture. Food, however, is fundamental and basic in most human circumstances. While growing ones own food is a rather foreign concept to many Americans and westerners it might be good to remember that Americans just recently became net importers of food (importing more than we produce). We need to be encouraged and empowered to become producers and the standard course hopefully does that.

The PcDC that I teach (and every teacher I know) offers far more than just how to grow food and introduces profound revelations about the nature of ecological systems (forests, water cycles, weather cycles, gardening and agriculture) that is CRUCIAL to the understanding of ALL humans, no matter their specialty or focus. Despite our contrasting perspectives on the matter of certification, the design manual, upon which the curriculum is based, is a hugely important collection of ideas which serve and address real and deep needs in all humans and their landscapes. Not to say that it addresses ALL of them, but it comes damn close. It truly deserves a semester or two, or three. If what you are teaching is not this curriculum, then don't offer a PDC certificate for it. Offer a DIFFERENT certificate for it (but please share your curricula amongst your peers and coleagues...we might learn something.)

I would like to read some of the new curriculums being created / imagined. I might want to teach some. I might want someone to teach me or to teach with me.
Keith

Keith Johnson wrote: