permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marimike6@cs.com
  • To: permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 04:40:05 EST

Mr. London still seems to be taken with the romance of kudzu. I never could
see it.

Goats will eat it. Nothing else I know of will. And you'll need a lot of
goats to stay even with it when it starts growing a foot a day.

The starch produces a very fine flour, useful in old fashioned flour printing
methods. It has also been used, as mentioned, to cure alcoholism. And the
tiny flowers smell strongly of grape.

That exhausts the plant's utility. Try it on your own land, if you want to
taste the joys of battling a noxious infestation. I was so incensed at the
damn
stuff I tried RoundUp on it. It seems to stimulate the plant's growth. Enjoy!