permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 20:48:21 -0500

Paul,
I live in zone 7 where kudzu thrives. At Earthaven ecovillage, where I live, we have consensed to not grow it on our property, though it rages on nearby land. We recommend that our members bring their animals TO those other sites instead of establishing it here. I agree with Toby in regard to the invasives controversy, but caution is still a usefull guide. We have imported kudzu 'hay' to Earthaven for use as an excellent mulch (or feed). It is cut and baled long before blooming and seed production, so is likely to not self propagate. I've never heard of it growing much beyond zone 6 though I suppose you could mulch it very heavily. You might not want to let the neighbors know about it, however.

Field peas are a lovely cover crop and can yield, in zone 7, a winter-long cut and come again salad vegetable (greens, not pods).
Keith

Paul Wheaton wrote:

How does it do in zone 4/5?
I would venture a guess that it might do OK in protected spots. How cold does
it get
there?

We had 27 below last winter. But that was the first time in four years I've
seen it get
below zero.
I tried to do a little research .... I suspect that it would be treated as
an annual
here. It sounds like it is difficult to get started - but once started it's
hard to
stop. I would think that the winter here would kill it. But would it do
much in one
year? Perhaps I should stick to field peas.

Keith Johnson
Permaculture Activist Magazine
PO Box 1209
Black Mountain, NC 28711