permaculture - Re: [permaculture] toxicity of black locust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: paul@richsoil.com, "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] toxicity of black locust
  • Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2004 03:26:44 -0500 (EST)

Honey locust seeds can be ground along with the rest of the pods for
livestock and human food. I understand there is some concern about toxins
in the seeds. See th book "Tree Crops" by J. Russell Smith for some work
in the early part of the 20th century. Cultivars have been selected.

Black locust seeds are much softer and smaller.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

> I understand that the honey locust seeds are inedible. They are so hard
> that they pass
> right through the animal that eats the pod. I suppose that black locust
> might be the
> same?

[snip]