permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lfl@intrex.net>, paul@richsoil.com, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2004 12:40:44 -0800 (PST)

> > How does it do in zone 4/5?
>
> I would venture a guess that it might do OK in protected spots. How cold
> does it get
> there?

We had 27 below last winter. But that was the first time in four years I've
seen it get
below zero.

I tried to do a little research .... I suspect that it would be treated as
an annual
here. It sounds like it is difficult to get started - but once started it's
hard to
stop. I would think that the winter here would kill it. But would it do
much in one
year? Perhaps I should stick to field peas.