permaculture - [permaculture] toxicity of black locust

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Paul Wheaton <paul@richsoil.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [permaculture] toxicity of black locust
  • Date: Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:30:36 -0800 (PST)

In selecting the trees I'll be planting in a few months, I've been been
favoring honey
locust over black locust. I thought that they were equal in their nitrogen
fixing
capacity and while I have yet to read something suggesting any toxicity with
honey
locust, I have read some positive and negative stuff about black locust.

Now that I have learned that honey locust does not enrich the surrounding
soil as much as
black locust, I'm thinking I need to re-evaluate this decision.

I know that the bark and wood of black locust is toxic, but I suppose that
that would
almost never be a problem with grazing animals. I would guess that even
goats would not
care for the taste. In fact, maybe I won't have to cage a black locust
seedling?
Anybody know about toxicity issues in the leaves and the pods?