permaculture - Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lisa MacIver <lisamaciver8@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] nitrogen fixing trees/shrubs that feed livestock
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 09:21:19 -0800 (PST)

I tasted the first goumi from my 3yo shrub this summer (birds got
most) - it was *TART*. More sour and less sweet than pie cherry.
But flavor wasn't bad... may be wonderful for jam. It's a close
relative of autumn and russian olive (and silverberry), but I haven't
heard goumi is invasive anywhere.

Seems to me I asked on list and was told that honey locusts are not
actually nitrogen fixing - not enough root nodules, or something (if
this list has an archive, you might check that). As I recall they
were N-neutral, so at least you get good fodder without depleting
soil... Black locusts are nitrogen fixing.

Lisa in Ashland Oregon