permaculture - Re: [permaculture] energy futures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "John Schinnerer" <john@eco-living.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] energy futures
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 22:02:01 -0700 (PDT)

Aloha,

> "CHP" otherwise known as "cogeneration"...

"What's in a name? A rose etc. etc..."

Thanks - I know of it by the "co-generation" term, I just didn't leap the
terminological gap. It may well have heated my room (and most everyone else's
nearby) when I was living in Sweden in '83-'84.

> However: you need a USEFUL way to use the heat and a way to get it
> there...
<snip>
> ...if: there is an electricity plant IN your town and
> a "matching" heat requirement nearby ....

I think, like biodiesel, and some geothermal, it's a technology of
local/transitional opportunity. Great if it meets all parameters for
maximizing systemic efficiency; otherwise, not.

- Eco-Living -
Cultural & Ecological Designing
People - Place - Learning - Integration
john@eco-living.net