permaculture - RE: [permaculture] energy futures

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harold Waldock <haroldw@alternatives.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] energy futures
  • Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 14:57:31 -0700

New Technology is not something one ordinarily tries to encourage in
sustainable designs for ordinary people with modest cash and time budgets.

The silver bullet for the energy problems is certainly not singular like
those neat solar dish powered hydrogen producing companies I mentioned. We
must not discourage invention either though as Bill Mollison suggested that
the first thing designers are to look at is to modify existing tools in a
small way to improve their efficiency. Thus tinker and get new tools - some
like those dishes could be made far cheaper than the cheapest car. Imagine
all year energy independence for house and vehicle for the price of a cheap
car? Coming soon? Unlikely but definitely potentially useful for some
designs.

Bill said that the greatest gains in energy use will come from design -
especially landscape design and for the Temperate and Cold region's houses.
Lets look at some of the solutions that are working well:

1) Ground Source Heat pumps - cost Can$10,000 - 15,000 results 70% energy
use reduction. Now 1/3 of all new houses in Switzerland and can be 100%
fossil fuel free depending on where the electricity comes from. High rates
of penetration in Austria too.

2) Hot Water Districts: very heavily used in Denmark. Lots of cities still
have steam but hot water districts have been shown to be much cheaper and
more efficient. This would work well for cool temperate zone Ecovillages.
So much used that one inventor there built a Wind Powered water heater - it
is not an electric generator but converts mechanical energy directly to
heat - a wind kettle. Very simple and easy to repair. If anybody wants the
contact ask I'll have to dig my archives for the info. If I remember
correctly these things were 5Kw and were less that Can$10,000.

3) Biomass Combined Heat and Power: very heavily used in Denmark. Up to 90%
efficiency. Even if fossil fuelled I'd think it best practice. Why? I keep
reminding myself that the idea is not going to happen unless there are
stepwise transitions. I have a saying I say often: "If it is not
transitional it is not Permaculture." We are to meet needs here and now and
not expect people to take up 17th Century rural lifestyles even if they are
sustainable. Take transitional steps and get better with time. It is
important to look at ends or if all the world would switch to the solution
and see what would happen just to check to make sure it is a good solution.
But be reasonable - permaculture is about design for people and place. The
solutions will be different all over the world and given better design
things will shift every 10 years.

If every subdivision was built with combined heat and power and a hot
water/chilled water district along with some ground source heat pumps people
could probably reduce their energy bills to 20% of current. Talk with your
neighbours. This kind of stuff has a much better payback in dense
neighbourhoods than solar pv.

Industrial Ecology thinking is particularly useful when designing for
energy.

Let us keep thinking energy design from the Permaculture perspective.

Harold Waldock