permaculture - RE: [permaculture] Walled Communities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "jamie" <jamie@tiscali.fr>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [permaculture] Walled Communities
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jul 2003 21:13:59 -0000

Hello Loren, I do not seem to have adequately expressed what it was I meant
by 'liberal' in my first post - but I certainly didn't mean to single out
the centre-left of US politics.

I meant 'liberal' to include the multifarious traditions that have created
the arena in which modern political debate in the western democracies takes
place: the commitment to individuals as free and equal persons and the
commitment to toleration based on the recognition of individual diversity.

However, while none of us would perhaps find fault with the above
definition, my concern is that tolerance and fair-mindedness are not the
only possible human characteristics that a society might wish to support,
thus my words: "What I am trying to establish is a counter to the liberal
political arena where consideration is given only to those views which
already carry the
accepted values." I understood Toby's comment to be raising a valid point
about personal integrity at the expense of the 'liberal' value of tolerance.

In such a debate it is encumbant upon the person raising an obviously
emotive subject to be clear and I obviously wasn't. I hope it wont get in
the way of a debate that I feel is important and one that can hardly be
avoided if PC is serious in its wish to involve itself in politics.

It may also have not escaped the notice of the more observant that 'eschew'
in the final line of my original post should be 'avow'. Perhaps it was this
glaring error rather than inadvertantly impugning the US liberal tradition
that garnered me a virused email?

Jamie
Souscayrous