permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Walled Communities

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: "Gaden@ziplip.com" <Gaden@ziplip.com>, permaculture <permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Cc:
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Walled Communities
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:25:05 +1000

Your example of the 'east coast' ecovillage below reminds me of the attempt to set up a cohousing project in Sydney in the mid-1990s. The project of Nigel Shepherd, 'Inner Pod' sought land in the city to construct a self-build cohousing project along the lines of those in Scandanavia. It was an open project - anyone could participate. Unfortunately, the search went on too long and the group slowly faded away.

The 'west coast' scenario Gaiden describes, in which an ecovillage group sets itself up in an 'elitist' manner, is indicative, I believe, of the way that mainstream society absorbs what had been fringe developments and incorporates them into existing structures. A more positive example might be Byron Council's development policy in support of scaled-down ecovillages that the Council calls 'ecohamlets'. I believe that Australian ecovillage pioneer, Max Lindegger, was influential in this.

I know that a case can be mounted for ecovillages to take the form of 'gated communities' and opinion has been expressed on this listserv about that before. As Gaiden states, there is clearly potential for ecovillages to become elitist communities affordable only by those with high income or inherited wealth. Perhaps this is an argument for the retention of NSW's Multiple Occupancy land-sharing legislation that permitted the development of the early intentional communities in this state. That promised cheaper access to community living.

I think it will be a shame if permaculture takes the 'elitist' road and if eco-communities become segregated from their surroundings and unachievable to lower-income people. Permaculture then becomes merely a technology for the well-off and its 'care for the people' ethic becomes relegated to rhetoric and the garbage bin. The east coast development sounds like Jalanbah, which is near the village of Nimbin, a juxtaposition that opens the potential for constructive economic and social exchange once people move beyond their home-building stage.

Consideration should also be given to 'retrofitting' existing townships, suburbs etc into more sustainable ecovillage formats. I guess this is probably similar to Ted Trainer's notions of integrated 'burbs'.

What works against this in Australian cities at the present time is the escalating cost of property, especially in Sydney. This makes cost the major barrier to people entering the property market. In search of affordable houses, first-home buyers are investing is places as far away as Tasmania, where property values are rising accordingly but where employment is excessively scarce (it is the only Australian state with nett loss of population, which itself weakens the economy of the island state and makes living there the prerogerative of those who are cashed-up).

Ted's ideas on integrating the suburbs are good but probably unachievable, given contemporary attitudes to property and cooperation. Cohousing would more than likely be the venue for such ideas on a scaled-down model.

Ecovillage developments are a healthy sign of things to come. But as a means of integration, not segregation. Inclusive, not exclusive.

Once again let me comment the 'Halifax' model of cohousing/ ecovillage development as the preferred model for towns and cities. Rather than shutting people out behind the 'private property' signs, this development, which was planned for the edge of the Adelaide (South Australia) CBD built which did not finally go ahead, invited them into the ground-level plaza where they supported the small businesses and cultural facilities available there. Residents occupied medium density, energy and resource-efficient apartments of various sizes above.

Such an arrangement would have integrated the development into the economic and social life of the surrounding city, of which it would have become a harmonious component.

...Russ Grayson